We asked High Town residents to send their questions for the Luton South candidates for the upcoming general election. Six sent videos: four are below and two more will be uploaded shortly.
The full list of candidates for the 2019 General Election for Luton South is as follows (in alphabetical order according to surname):
Parvez Akhtar - Conservative Party
Mohammed Ashraf - Independent
Ben Foley - Green Party
John French - Best4Luton Party
Rachel Hopkins - Labour Party
Gavin Shuker - Independent
Garry Warren - Brexit Party
The questions are:
1. What are the top three things that central government should do - if anything - to support Luton Borough Council in its work, and why?
2. More people then ever before will be voting tactically this election. A clear sign that people can't vote for who, or what they believe because of the dominance of the two parties. How will you support electoral reform to improve our democracy?
3. What will you do to reduce Luton’s contribution to the climate crisis?
4. How will you fight against the privatisation of the NHS?
5. The current plans to expand all regional airports, including Luton airport, are incompatible with the governments current target of net carbon zero by 2050, let alone by an earlier date. If you become our MP, what would you do to bring this problem to the government's attention, and what would you recommend be done about it?
6. What are you going to do about local issues such as bin bags being dumped on street corners everywhere, left for weeks and not being picked up? And parking that stops people being able to walk on the path with pushchairs etc?
7. What is your solution to bringing about a resolution to Brexit?
Please note that the videos below have all been provided by the candidates. Some candidates have put them on their own YouTube channels and others have agreed for them to be uploaded to the 'High Town Luton' YouTube account. Therefore, the High Town Luton logo on a video should not be considered as an endorsement of any candidate.